Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Driving disqualifications UK

1. Overview
You can be banned (disqualified) from driving if you either:
  • are convicted of a driving offence
  • get 12 or more penalty points (endorsements) within 3 years
You’ll get a summons in the post that tells you when you must go to court.

How long a driving ban will last

The court will decide how long the disqualification will last, based on how serious they think the offence is.
If you have 12 or more penalty points, you could be banned from driving for:
  • 6 months if you get 12 penalty points or more within 3 years
  • 12 months if you get a 2nd disqualification within 3 years
  • 2 years if you get a 3rd disqualification

Disqualified for 56 days or more

If you’re disqualified for 56 days or more you must apply for a new license before driving again.
You might also have to retake your driving test or take an extended driving test before getting your new license. The court will tell you if you have to do this.

Disqualified for less than 56 days

Your paper driving license or counterpart document will be stamped by the court and given back to you. This is called ‘short period disqualification’.
You won’t need to renew your license. The stamp shows the disqualification period and you can use the same license again when this is over.

2. Check when your disqualification ends
You can find the date your driving ban ends:
  • online if you previously applied for your license over the internet
  • on the reminder form D27 that DVLA sends you 56 days before your disqualification ends
  • on the D811 letter issued 90 days before certain drink-related disqualifications end
  • stamped on your paper license or counterpart document if you’re disqualified for less than 56 days
  • by phoning DVLA customer enquiries (phone the DVA if you’re in Northern Ireland)
DVLA customer enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6801
Textphone: 0300 123 1278

DVA customer enquiries
Telephone: 0845 402 4000

3. Apply to reduce your disqualification period

You can ask the court to reduce your disqualification period after you’ve been banned from driving for:
  • 2 years - if the disqualification was for more than 2 but fewer than 4 years
  • half the disqualification period - if it was for between 4 and 10 years
  • 5 years - if the disqualification was for 10 years or more
You must have a good reason for asking for the disqualification to be reduced. For example, if you think the court made a legal mistake or there were reasons you committed the driving offence that the court didn’t take into account.
Write to the court that disqualified you with the date of offence, date of conviction and any other supporting information. The court will tell DVLA if it decides to reduce your disqualification period.
If the court refuses your request you have to wait 3 months before you can ask again.

If your disqualification is shortened

Car or motorbike licenses

Apply for a new license by sending DVLA a completed form D1 ‘Application for a driving license’, available from the DVLA form ordering service or most Post Offices.

Lorry or bus licenses

Apply for a new license by sending DVLA a completed form D2 ‘Application for a lorry/bus license’, available from the DVLA form ordering service.

4. Disqualification outside Great Britain

If you’ve been banned from driving on your Great Britain driving license you’re also banned from driving in Northern Ireland, Ireland and the Isle of Man.
This is called ‘mutual recognition of disqualification’. Disqualified drivers from those areas are also disqualified from driving in Great Britain.

5. Changes to your name and address while disqualified

Tell DVLA if you change your name or address while disqualified.
Write with details of your old and new address, name if changed, your driving license number (if known) and date of birth.
SA99 1AB

6. Disqualification until 'test pass' or 'extended test pass'

If you’re disqualified until ‘test pass’ or ‘extended test pass’ and want to drive again, you must apply for a new provisional driving license before you take the tests you need.

How to get a new license

1.     DVLA will send you a reminder 56 days before your disqualification ends - use this to apply for a new provisional driving license.
2.     Book and take a theory and practical test (or compulsory basic training (CBT) and motorcycle practical test if you ride a motorcycle). If you’re disqualified until ‘extended test pass’, book an extended practical test (which lasts 70 minutes). The fees are higher for extended tests.
3.     When you’ve passed the practical test, ask the examiner to arrange for your new license to be sent to you - you can legally drive as soon as you’ve passed the practical test.
If you want to drive a large vehicle (category C) or a bus (category D) the local traffic commissioner must agree - DVLA will ask them when you apply for your new full license.

7. Disqualification for drunk-driving

DVLA will make medical enquiries before you can renew your driving license if you’re disqualified for some drink-driving offences.
DVLA will write to you and tell you what to do.

DVA makes these enquiries in Northern Ireland


Post a Comment