Saturday, December 20, 2014

Washington Car Insurance

Washington Car Insurance: WA State

Auto Insurance Requirements

The state of Washington requires a driver to have a car insurance
liability policy, a certificate of deposit or a liability bond of the
required limits.
The minimum bodily injury liability is $25,000 per person and up to
$50,000 per accident. The property damage liability is $10,000. This
basic coverage plan is also referred to as 25/50/10.
If you prefer to buy bonds instead of an insurance liability, the same
rules apply. However, if you wish to purchase a certificate of deposit,
then you need to pay $60,000 to the office of the State Treasurer. If
you own 26 vehicles or more, the state of Washington allows you to have
You are required to carry proof of your car insurance with you at all
times in Washington. You can be fined around $450 if found driving
without adequate proof. There is also a chance that this may go on your
driving record as a violation. Moreover, the court can impose a fee on
your fine.
You must comply with all the rules of Washington's mandatory auto
insurance law, even if you are an out-of-state non-resident driver who
happens to be driving through Washington.
Vehicles over 40 years old that are especially licensed as “antique
vehicles”, “collector's vehicles” or “classic cars” that are over 30
years old and vehicles owned by public bodies and two wheelers are
exempt from the auto insurance law in the state.
The state of Washington requires insurance companies to offer uninsured
and underinsured motorist coverage as part of their deals. However, it’s
up to customer whether they want to purchase it.
Insurance companies are also supposed to offer their customers a type of
coverage known as Personal Injury Protection (PIP). This must provide a
minimum of $10,000 in medical expenses, $2,000 for funeral expenses,
$10,000 as wage compensation subject to a limit of $200 per week, and
$5,000 for loss of services subject to a limit of $200 per week per
person insured.
Washington follows a tort system which means that someone must be at fault for causing the accident.
More information on Washington auto insurance can be obtained by
contacting the Office of the Insurance Commissioner at 800-562-6900 or
by visiting their website available at


Post a Comment